Beetroot salad with fermented cabbage delights with its vibrant colour and taste. It also has therapeutic qualities provided by naturally lacto fermented cabbage. The salad is easy to make in big batches, it can be stored refrigerated for a week without any problems. The only issue which complicates making this salad, is the availability of fermented cabbage. The best option is to find fermented cabbage with only one additional ingredient – salt. It might not be possible sometimes. We make our own fermented cabbage on regular basis, once in 8-10 weeks. The process takes only 5 days and the final product can be stored in tightly packed jars for many weeks.
Beetroot salad can be made without fermented cabbage, too. It is still a delicious salad, however, without additional health benefits. Beetroot salad is a convenient and practical side dish to a packed lunch. In air tight container, which prevents leaking and ruining everything around, beetroot salad can be packed with any protein (cooked meat, poultry, eggs) for a juicy and nourishing meal.
We often pair beetroot salad with grain free chicken meatloaf.
- 3 medium organic beetroot
- 4 large carrots
- 1 medium onion
- 5-6 medium gherkins (pickled cucumbers with only salt in brine)
- 2 cups tightly packed fermented cabbage (half of 800 ml jar, or 1/3 0f 1 l jar)
- 1 table spoon cold pressed olive oil (avocado oil)
- 1/2 tea spoon sea salt
- 1/3 tea spoon coarse black pepper
- cover beetroot with cold water, bring water to simmering and cook until beetroot is fully cooked and is soft
- drain and cover with cold water (beetroot can be cooked the day before)
- peel carrots and cook them in simmering water until ready, but not completely soft, leave some bite in carrots
- peel cooked beetroot
- finely chop beetroot, carrots and pickled cucumbers
- thinly slice onion, using mandoline slicer, roughly chop sliced onions
- in a large, wide bowl combine all ingredients, add fermented cabbage, loosen up compacted chunks of fermented cabbage
- add olive oil, salt and pepper
- mix and combine all ingredients well, make sure fermented cabbage is evenly spread
Serve salad as a side dish on its own,
or with meat, chicken or any other protein of choice. Goes well with warm or cold chicken meatloaf and homemade mustard.