Stewed fresh figs, stuffed with walnuts in honey and lemon syrup with chia seeds, is easy to prepare seasonal dessert. It takes only 25-30 minutes to prepare, and overnight to infuse for more developed taste. It can be served on its own, or with a dollop of whipped coconut cream. Lemon juice and chia seeds allow to make intensely flavoured and not overly sweet syrup. Fresh walnuts add new dimension both to the taste and the texture of the dish. With ripe figs the only problem with this dish is not to overcook figs, and use them while they still hold their shape.
Figs can be left in the fridge for a week to achieve even better infusion.
- 400g fresh ripe figs
- 200ml water
- 8-10 walnuts, best to use those still in shells
- 120g organic honey
- 30ml fresh lemon juice (juice half of the lemon)
- 20g white organic chia seeds
- 1 stick of cinnamon
- wash and dry figs
- cut them in halves
- place figs to cover the bottom of the deep pan or casserole dish
- pour cold water, water will not cover figs completely
- cook figs on medium heat for 10 min after the water reaches boiling point, time depends on the size of figs, stop when they start to become soft and translucent
- take figs from the pan, insert walnuts inside each half, use appropriate size walnut pieces
- you will be left with 70-80 ml of figs stewing liquid, transfer this liquid to a small sauce pan
- add honey and lemon juice to make runny syrup, check the taste, if necessary add honey or lemon juice
- cook the syrup for 3-5 min
- add chia seeds, stir them in
- cook the syrup with chia seeds for 5-7 min.
- divide cinnamon stick in halves
- place one half of cinnamon stick on the bottom of the glass container, the other reserve for the top layer
- place fig halves (tightly packed) in glass container in layers
- add syrup after finished with each layer just to the level of the figs
- continue until all figs are tightly packed
- use another half of cinnamon stick
- pour the rest of the syrup on top
- tap container on the surface to get rid of air bubbles
- cover container with a lid, let the contents to cool down and refrigerate
Test your patience and enjoy them after 2-3 days.