I have been using garlic, sweet red peppers, hot chilli and parsley paste on everyday basis for several years. This preserve is easy to make, it can be kept refrigerated for several weeks and used practically in every savoury dish for seasoning. A year ago, around Christmas time, I run out of parsley and prepared this preserve without it. We liked it even better, and since that time I prepare this paste using only long sweet red peppers, hot chilli peppers and garlic. The quantity of Bird’s eye chilli peppers can vary, depending on how hot you like the paste. With storage the saltiness and heat in the preserve diminishes due to the process of fermentation.
- 7-8 red sweet chilli peppers
- 1 red capsicum (optional, adds more liquid to the paste)
- 2 large, 3 medium or 4 small garlic heads
- 2-3 Bird’s eye chillies
- 1/2 tea spoon ground black pepper
- 2 table spoons sea salt
- 1 tea spoon avocado oil (organic extra virgin olive oil)
The taste of freshly prepared paste is very salty and very hot, but becomes more mild within 2-3 days. Paste preparation with step by step images can be found here.
Garlic and chilli paste
can be used fresh to serve omelettes and scrambled eggs, or to spice up sandwiches.
It is perfect to roast meat and poultry.
I use this paste in:
- soups and stock preparation
- stews, stroganoffs, meatballs, frikadeles
- lamb, veal, beef and chicken meatloaf
- homemade chicken sausages
- fish, baked in parcels
- chicken pate and mousse preparation
- roasted and stewed vegetables
- baked vegetables and quiches
- sauces, which can be used on vegetables or meatballs
- grain and nut free bread
- savoury pancake batters
Having this preserve in the fringe will save you time and money in everyday cooking, and will create dishes full of complex flavours with minimum effort. This paste is also very gentle and can be used in cooking for people with sensitive stomachs, who do not tolerate fresh garlic in their food.