I made this soup for the first time using homegrown organic beetroot from our friends garden. It was so delicious and so easy to prepare with frozen chicken and cauliflower meatballs I always have in my freezer, that when homegrown beetroot run out, I simply used commercial organic beetroot from Coles supermarket. The list of ingredients for the soup is flexible, you can use any vegetables of your choice. Three compulsory ingredients are beetroot, onions and carrots, the rest can include cauliflower, broccoli, eggplant, zucchini, capsicum, pumpkin.
When cooking beetroot soup in gluten free version, with the wider list of ingredients, I like to use potato and canned beans or other legumes.
For grain and dairy free diet the soup is served with easy coconut flour and apple bread, that can be prepared and baked while the soup cooks.
For gluten free serving I use sour cream and my own gluten free yeast bread, in this case baked in baguette shape.
We like our winter soups thick and nourishing to be a complete meal for lunch or dinner, but the soup can be made with less vegetables and more liquid for a lighter feel. The abundance of vegetables and chicken meatballs make the soup taste so delicious that you do not need any spices to add. I used a pinch of fennel seeds and chilli to spice the soup up, but it is optional.
- 2 medium to large organic beetroot, peeled and grated
- 2 onions (can be replaced by leek)
- 3 carrots, sliced or grated
- 2-3 large cauliflower florets
- 1 small eggplant, thinly sliced
- 10-12 chicken and cauliflower meatballs
- 1 table spoon olive oil
- 1 table spoon coconut oil
- pinch of fennel seeds
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- 2-3 bay leaves
- mild chilli, whole or deseeded to taste
- sea salt and coarse black pepper for seasoning
You can use any source of meat (on the bone or fillets) which you can tolerate. Chicken skinless drumsticks, veal chops or ribs can be used as a light option. Vegetarian version of the soup is delicious as well.
- heat olive and coconut oil in a large casserole pan, add fennel seeds
- slice onion in semi-circles and fry gently for 2-3 minutes, season with salt and pepper
- add grated beetroot and cook on medium heat for 5 minutes
- add carrots (I grated them this time, but usually slice)
- add boiling water, thinly sliced garlic and chilli
- wait until the boiling point, add fresh or frozen meatballs
- when the contents of the pan reaches boiling point again, add eggplant, cauliflower and bay leaves
- reduce heat to medium/low and cook for 45-60 minutes